Thursday 22 November 2007

Memories

My dear Grandma - Phyllis Melville Richards - died yesterday evening around seven. Thankfully we've been prepared for her death, and since she reached the impressive age of ninety-nine, the overwhelming emotion is one of thankfulness: for her long life and the years she's influenced our lives.

Death holds a different sort of sadness when someone has fulfilled their "allotted" time and lived a good number of years. But it's still sad when I think of her previous vibrancy and energy: I want to be able to return to some of those moments in my past and re-live them with her - to remember. It seems like a long time until I'll see her again.

God be in her understanding, in her eyes, in her mouth, in her heart and in her departing.

When I pray those words I see her blending with the colours of the sky, the earth, the sea and the sun... I see her soul soaring like a swallow into the blue, blue expanse of eternity. I feel like she knows I am here and she is there. Whether or not we are together - we are at least not completely apart. Whatever that may mean.

No comments: