Monday 30 July 2007

'i never question god'

been listening to a track on an album by Ikon - the lyric goes "i never question god, i can only question my assumptions of god, i only question my understanding of god"

i like that thought, a lot.


for a very long time my mindset was that you must prove that god existed - that was Evangelism, that was what it was all about, that was the question -"does he* exist?"...
and so, to me, fellowship and worship and my understanding of the teaching of the church was all about affirming and reinforcing a very singular idea of god...

but over the past few years - through my alt-worship dabblings, revive, open space, and now our monk-y business - i've really let go of that sort of narrow, yes/no thinking about god and feel that we're journeying all the time now into something a lot more invigorating and exciting.

our monks stuff is such a big part of that, and you lot are challenging me to question my understanding and my assumptions.
i felt that very much after our meal last week [which i loved...] and i feel it when i read this blog...
i'm very thankful for that.

and so, like the prayer says... 'god be in my head and in my understanding...'

si





*god was very definitely a 'he' back then...!

No comments: