Tuesday 15 May 2007

less is more

I spent this morning trying to throw things away. This, so I could make enough space in the shed to stash one couch and one coffee table. This, so I could walk through the lounge without having to wriggle sideways past all the furniture and newly arrived piano.

The couch and coffee table have been duly relegated to the shed, and the ensuing mobility options in the lounge are satisfying indeed!

Which makes me think: less is more. Getting rid of stuff increases space.

And that seems like a metaphor just screaming to happen. Getting rid of extraneous activities and busy-ness creates life-space. Head-space. Time ... to be.

And of course, that made me think of 'Monks'. The good old Abbot urges us to make space in our lives for sanctuary. What do I need to get rid of?

Si mentioned the old 'not turning on the computer in the mornings' thing, at our last Monks get-together. And that hits the nail on the head for me. I had a minute of indecision this morning when I debated whether or not I should switch on my laptop and check my emails. Sadly, I decided 'yes'. Tomorrow, I'll aim for 'no'.

In fact, I'll aim to get off as soon as I've clicked on 'PUBLISH', and not turn on my laptop again today till bedtime.

Baby steps forward ...

No comments: