Friday 25 May 2007

Preparation

We've just dropped Eddie off for a weekend away with the cubs and scouts celebrating the scouting centnary year.
I've spent most of the day organising,sorting, naming and packing clothes etc. A friend of mine has been doing the same all day for her 4 boys!! When I saw her tonight I asked if she was looking forward to the weekend away without the boys. Her response was that she wasn't sure it was worth it as it had taken so long to sort everything out!

We all go away on Sunday and so tomorrow bodes more sorting and packing in readiness for the journey!
I know (because it always happens), that when we get there it will all be worth it, but sometimes at this point I doubt the decision and wish we were just staying at home.

I guess preparing for the journey is part of the process of the journey rather than just an end in itself.

I think this is how I feel about building silence and contemplation.
There's an awful lot of sorting, naming, throwing out and then thinking about what I need to take with me on this journey of finding sanctuary.

'Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me...'

these were the dulcett tones I heard just the other day, I can't remember where from, maybe the football!!

And for me those familiar words hit me again.

And my response.... a yearning to deepen my knowledge of a God who would reach out to me in this way, a longing to enter that sanctuary, an excitement as I pack my bags to carry on the journey.

Sue

No comments: