Friday 15 June 2007

Time passes

Hi guys,
Sorry I seem to have missed my slot the last couple of weeks. One week we were on holiday and last week I can't even remember!!
We are approaching a momentous day in our family as Eddie becomes 10 on Tuesday. I can't quite believe it is 10 years since this amazing bundle of life arrived. We were thrust into parenthood without having much idea as to what it would entail. For the early years it was about physical loving and nurturing, but as the baby turned to toddler to little boy to much bigger boy, it has become about loving the person he is and will become,about loving when you don't like what you hear or see and loving him through his own emotional development and standing back to let him work things out for himself.

Last Saturday saw the anniversary of my Dad's death, 20 years ago! A significant passage of time, a lifetime for some people! A sense of sadness as always, particularly for the 7 grandchildren he never met. Grief no longer grips me with such intensity or pain, nor is it my every waking thought but even 20 years on I can be instantly back to that moment and experience the reality of it all over again. Does time heal? No I don't believe on its own that it does. Mine came from a direct experience of God's intervention. Time is a reality, it allows distance between you and the event , it allows for a more thoughtful response, it allows you to look back and see how God has been at work but of itself I can't pin it down. 10 years, 20 years 30 years what does it matter. My life is a journey and these events are part of it, something that happened yesterday I've already forgotten but something 10 or 20 years ago I remember in minute detail.

Time passes and what I choose to do with my time is significant.

I remember reading something when Si and I were first married and it talked about 'wasting' time together, where time set aside to be us was important, not 'doing' things together but almost revelling in each others space.
I wonder if that's where I need to be with God, when time spent in solitude with him isn't about 'doing' but about 'wasting', where I enjoy just being in His presence.

sue

No comments: